Friday, April 10, 2009

And so it comes to an end...

Second Life has been one laggy ride. I started out with Robbie Clarity, my first avatar who was promptly killed off after I become creeped out by people I didn't know calling me by my fist name. Then after much name research I became Eno Cyberschreiber, named after the prominent musical producer. That name proved to be a wise choice as I met many interesting people on the basis of my name. One of them being Harpo, whom I had great discussions with.

I gave Second Life the benefit of the my doubt, not holding back and trying incessantly to become a part of the culture. I met up with some generous people who aided me in becoming not recognizable as a noob. After about $3.00 or 2000L I was set. My appearance was how I wanted it and I was ready to get into the culture.

My first stop was music. I wanted to see what kind of a House music scene there was, with specific refernce to Detroit Techno. I ended up finding a haven of mine named Necto which I frequented. Again, the people were great and the music was great. Necto lead me to a lot of other places too, and other friends. There was still one thing that struck me in my journeys that I have blogged over and over about.

Aside from the place known as Greenies, Second Life has become an exercise in trasferring real life into a digital reality. It seems a lot of our limitations have been transferred over, and this can be seen in the online lecture we have held in class. The potential is there, but it is not utilized. It is more often than now frustrating because you know you would normally be able to do some things that Web 2.0 makes capable, but in the end it is not supported.

It feels like Brock University in their attempt to creat a proximal learning space amongst a traditional style of learning. Seems like a badge they wanted to slap on the school, while still retaining traditional and unquestions forms of teaching.

I say we break free from tradition, we question and query it and back it into a corner and make it explain itself. It if doesn't stack up then we move on and retain fluidity in our learning environment. We know not what the future holds, so why stay on train tracks approaching in from one perspective. We must soak it with all we have and see what happens.

Second Life is a culture industry only as far as there is no real term to describe what is going on in Second Life. It is not bound by linearity like corporeal reality is and therefore does not subscribe to the same rule set that we do in this reality.

It is not bound my narrative, as it is a hypertextual environment that exists outside of our traditional definitions of reality. We must redefine and then we must realize that we live in a fluid world inbetween tenses. We are no longer past, present and future. We are all of them, all at once and at the same time none of them at all. We are hypertensical beings, and this is the beginning of the definition of the rest of our realities and lives.

No comments: